L-Cystine is defined as a white crystalline amino acid formed from the disulfide linkage of two cysteines during folding of many proteins, especially keratin, and stabilizing the tertiary structure of the protein and is the major source of metabolic sulfur; first discovered in bladder stones.
BENEFITS OF HAVING ENOUGH L-CYSTINE
- It reinforces collagen; making cell walls stronger resulting in stronger skin.
- Helps produce carotene; making the hair stronger.
- Protects the liver from harmful damage caused by chemicals
- Used in treatment of some skin disorders.
DEFICIENCIES OF L-CYSTINE MAY LEAD TO
- Susceptibility to the harmful effects from smoking.
- Serious hangovers from drinking alcohol.
- Liver damage.
- Enhanced white blood cell activity.